Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

It's hard to let go!

It's hard to let go and let them grow up. First of all, it can't really be that long since they were babies, and secondly I am not old enough to have children that old! :-> Okay, well maybe I am, but I don't feel that old!

Zachary is 10 and now that he has reached double-digits he's informed us that he is a pre-teen. How can he be a pre-teen when I just brought him home from the hospital?

My pre-teen, my 10 year old, went on his first school ski trip today. Zach has never gone skiing before. I was up all night thinking of different scenarios of what would happen. I worried all day about my little baby.

He had a fabulous time. Zach can't wait to go again. To his horror I kissed him in front of a friend when he came back. I was so glad to see him in one piece!

I guess part of being a parent is knowing when to let go. We have to start letting him go and encouraging him to be more independent.

I love his smile. I love the way he gets so excited with a story that he can't wait to get the words out. I love how he laughs hysterically before he can get to the punch line. I love how much he reminds me of his father.

It's hard letting go, but at the same time it's exciting to see where he is going.

6 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Blogger Moogie said...

This is so true. I have a 10 year old girl. It's so hard to let them go, but we have to. But I want them to be my babies...you know...just a little longer.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I've been a mother for only 3 years, but even in this short period of time I've been amazed at how time can just melt away. I think I will have a hard time letting go at each progressive stage. Even now I think about my children growing up and leaving me, and I wonder how parents get through it.

Okay, back to the present, where my kids need me every waking second!

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Bittersweet is always the word that comes to my mind. I know it's a cliche', but it's so true. It's fun to watch them grow and develop their own little person, and yet it's so hard to let go. My kids are still little, so thinking about them even leaving the house without me is scary. I just try to concentrate on right now, and hope that when the time comes, I'll be ready for it - whatever "ready" means.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

I know what you mean. My 11-year-old will turn twelve in a few days, and it doesn't seem possible. People used to tell me when he was a toddler, "Enjoy it while you can; they grow up so fast." Then, when he was going through night terrors, never sleeping, and always into everything, I didn't understand it.
Now I do.
He insists on being called a "pre-teen," too. :)

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Photominer said...

"...I love how he laughs hysterically before he can get to the punch line. I love how much he reminds me of his father....."

Does Carmi laugh hysterically alot? Too cool... :-)

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home