Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

I'm Back!

It's quite late here (or early, depending on your perspective) but I just wanted to say I am back. It's been a long, tiring week and I just could not get to the computer. I think the weather is getting me down and I feel as though I am coming down with something. I have had that feeling when you feel like you're getting a cold, but nothing develops, and you just feel sort of crappy.

Now that the whinning and excuses are over, I want to talk about some special friends.

Very good friends of ours just had a baby girl a few weeks ago, and they're coming to visit us tomorrow (they live about 200 km away). I can't wait to see them. They are really special friends. Our children call them Auntie and Uncle and they're kids call us the same. Carmi and the husband have know each other since elementary school and the wife and I have know each other since high school.

It's funny how we hung around the same group, but we weren't really friends. We became reacquainted at a mutual friend's bridal shower and really became friends. I consider her to be my closest friend. We are can really count on each other.

I do have to qualify that Carmi is my best friend!

We try to get the 2 families together every 6 to 8 weeks. As much as we would like more...Life sort of gets in the way. Sometimes we speak on the phone 2 or 3 times a week and sometimes we can go 2 or 3 weeks without speaking.

I admit, that sometimes I feel a little guilty not calling her more than I do. As I have already admitted here...I really don't like talking on the phone. It sounds like such a cop-out to say that I'm tired from work and life and once the kids go down, I just don't want to talk to anyone.

However, when we do speak, we always pick up as if it was yesterday.

It's nice having a friend like that.

Do you have a friend like that? Call them and say hello. You'll be glad you did.

6 Comments:

At 5:22 AM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Yes, being a displaced Aussie-Brit, I have a few friends like that. I miss them desperately and even though it's often months or over a year between calls it's always the same as it ever was between us.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I find that it just seems to get harder to see our friends. And now my best friend is moving to a state about 3 hours away -- I am sad about that but have resolved that we will just have to make whatever extra effort it takes to see each other.

I hope your visit is wonderful!

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Christine said...

Sadly, because we tend to move around so much, I don't make many really good friends. I wish I had really close friends like this.

Have a wonderful visit!!

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog, and I LOVE it!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

The friends you can pick up with as though no time had passed in between conversations...are the best kind of friends...I have been thinking for a while now that what makes these friendships so lasting is that they are somewhat unconditional. There aren't any hoops you have to jump through; the arms are always open and holding no grudges.

The friendships that haven't lasted, for me, are the ones where someone was saying, "Geez, how long has it been since I heard from you, what's up with that," etc., when there's no allowance for lives getting busy, complicated, whatever.

It's wonderful to have a friend with whom you're so close that these kind of conditional assurances aren't necessary, and you know they'll always be there for you as you are for them. Rare, but wonderful.

*picks up telephone after hitting Publish button*

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger JanetsJourney.com said...

I have 4 good frines like that - all long distant now - but still close. 1 from high school - 1 from college - and 2 from the neighbood that my husband and I had our first house in. So the shortest friendship is one of 12 years and the longest going back 24. They are always there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home