Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Time Flies!

I can't believe how time flies. It's been so long since I last posted. It has been a world-wind (is that the right expression?!) few weeks. I finally have a chance to sit down at the computer.

After we got back from Mtl. school became crazy with report cards, curriculums for May and June and then getting ready for Passover.

I love Passover. I have always loved it. The traditions of it. My parents have an eclectic set of dishes. Some of which were used when my father was a little boy. Some things belong to my mother's parents and some to my father's parents.

Each item has a story and/or a specific food, the little green glasses, my father used when he was little, are for juice, the NY Mets beer glasses (one for me and one for my sister) are used for chocolate milk...The list can go on.

We haven't been to Mtl. For the seders (traditional meals where the story of Passover is told) in quite a few years. For the last couple of years my in-laws have come, but this year my father-in-law isn't well enough to travel (next year for sure!). We are hoping that my parents will join us next year.

Carmi's sister and brother-in-law and their son , as well as a the Katz family, very dear friends, who have become like our family, joined us for the first Seder. We went to other friends for the second Seder. It was fabulous.

The draw back about Passover is all the work. I didn't realize how hard my mother worked until I had to do it myself. We change everything over. We have separate dishes. cutlery, pots, pans,bake ware, kettle. You name it. I even cover my counters with liners that I cut to fit. By the time the seders are finished I am exhausted!

As I work in a Jewish school, classes are closed until next Tuesday. As my children go to this school they are home with me. Okay, I can sleep in a little, so it's not so bad. Did I mention that it snowed all weekend and then rained until this morning? They are going a little stir crazy. Hopefully the roads will be dry enough to get on bikes this afternoon. In addition to the weather troubles, they are constantly complaining there is nothing to eat.

I take this personally. All I have done is plan a meal, cook a meal, serve a meal, eat a meal and clean up a meal. Then it starts all over again. It's not that there is nothing to eat, it's that there is nothing that they want to eat.

My mother keeps calling "Did you try making _________ for them (fill in the blank with various foods). My kids are so picky most of the time they won't eat it. But, I keep telling her "When they are really hungry, they will eat something that I have!" That's what happened today. We'll manage till Sunday night!

If you can't tell this holiday is all about the food. But at the same time it's about family as well. It's about sharing stories and traditions with each other. Isn't that what life is all about?

1 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger Moogie said...

It sounds wonderful. I love learning and passing on traditions and such. I agree, that is what it is all about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home