Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Monday, July 11, 2005

I Feel So LAZY!!

School is out....The kids are in camp...And I am not working this summer, the first time in 10 years. I feel so lazy!

I'm trying to relax, but at the same time I think about how the kids will be finished camp in 3 weeks. I want to enjoy this time, but I think that sometimes I don't know how to relax. I read a book and put the timer on so that I'll stop reading and do laundry.

I have so many things I want to do. Chores in the house and out of the house. I just can't seem to summon the energy to do anything. On top of this, I have had a nap every afternoon (except on the weekend, then the kids won't let me)

Some mothers that I know can't wait for their kids to come home from day camp. They miss them so much...I worry that something is wrong with me. Of course I miss them...I adore them. Well most of the time :) But I look forward to dropping them off at camp. I know their safe, happy and are having fun. I crave this time to myself.

Carmi gets upset with me that I worry so much about the house and the laundry...."It'll get done" But when will it get done? Who's going to do it?

I figure maybe Carmi is right, so the house is messy. I can clean it later. I might as well take advantage of this time. Next July is a long time from now.

How do you relax? What makes you feel lazy?

8 Comments:

At 2:17 AM, Blogger Ms Mac said...

Hello! You sound just like me. I often wonder if my maternal instincts have gone astray when I don't miss the children as much as other mothers do (or claim to!)

Also, my old mum (she'd kill me if she knew I wrote that! ;-)) always said "your house will be standing long after you," enjoy life and don't worry about the laundry so much! If you have to go to the shops in pyjamas, that's when you need to do laundry.

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Peanutt said...

Lazy for me is once I set my butt on a couch. I'm asleep in 2.5 seconds.

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I'll adapt a comment about workplace-life prioritization: no one ever dies having wished he/she had spent more time doing housework.

I'd rather be playing "tent" at bedtime. Or calming our daughter down during a really loud thunderstorm, or...

I know you do, too, because you're so good at all of these things, and then some.

Windex, Lysol and Drano will always be there. Smiling 4-, 7- and 10-year-olds won't be.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Crazy Single Mom said...

I know how you feel, but seriously, the thing about housework is if you don't do it, it'll still be there, it doesn't go away. If you DO do it, more will miraculously appear. So take some time to relax and enjoy. The beach makes me relax, I love it!

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Christine said...

Oh I have been feeling lazy too! It's this heat - it just sucks the energy right out of me!

I always try to remember what Carmi is trying to tell you - the housework will get done. Sometimes you need to put it aside to take care of yourself. (It's hard for me to remember, though, because I do like a tidy house. Or at least I think I do - I've never had one! :)

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger jlybn123 said...

The heat has hit us all, I think. It's hard to be motivated when it's stifling. It will get better, and chores can wait...

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Moogie said...

It's so odd isn't it. Here we have all of this time...but really don't get the things done we want. I agree though...your children will grow, whether the housework gets done or not. Enjoy them.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On of my favourite posts, similar to your husbands, is "no man/ woman, on his/her deathbed, ever wished he/she had spent more time at the office. You are having my "dream summer" the one I hope to be able to create for myself next year. The summer off! The kids grow so fast that soon they will be off running around with their friends for the summer...or at their first summer job!

I am a scrapbooker when I have the time...which isn't often. It's an expensive hobby but one that relaxes and "centres" me.

Have a great summer....who cares what the inside of your house looks like..go OUTside.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home