Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Do I have MAID stamped on my forehead?

Some days I would like to know if I have the word MAID stamped on my forehead. I like to think I am a really tidy person and mess and chaos drives me insane. That being said...my kids are SLOBS. They refuse to pick up after themselves, they leave their dishes on the counter or sink or table and they don't put anything away....well not without a lot of screaming and yelling.

Yes, I admit it...I yell at my children. Are you ready to click away? NO! Yup, I am one of those mothers who doesn't want to be my kid's best friend. Okay, maybe I do, but later when they are older...now it's my job to make sure they no right from wrong and know how to behave in the outside world. In Yiddish you would say to be a mensch.

Okay, back to the mess. My kids think I am so mean...I make them miss part of their shows to tidy up their messes. I know the horrors! Nothing irritates me more than someone taking things out and not putting them away where they belong. The kids also grumble that they have to do chores...I make a schedule that's posted on the fridge, included on the list is emptying the dishwasher, setting the table, clearing the table, and feeding or watering Frasier. They also have to keep their rooms tidy. My kids tell me I am the meanest mother in the world. My standard answer is "Good, I'm trying to win the award!" It bugs them to know end! :-)

Well, my tirade is over, thank you for listening. I feel better now. Oh, the kitchen is nice and clean as I scrubbed it down (even the fridge) while I was ranting and raving at my children!

How do you get your family keep things tidy in your house. I don't want our house to look like a museum but neither do I want to have to clean for 2 hours before anyone steps foot in my house.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger koreen (aka: winn) said...

I haven't gotten to that place yet... The Boy is only 2 and I actually DO have Maid stamped on my forehead... but I know I'll get there. As a matter of fact, I remember MY mother going through the same struggles! Maybe it's just a "benefit" of motherhood. In the meantime, good for you for not wanting to be your kids' best friend right now. They'll be better for it. They know you love them, and that's all that matters, right?! :)

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Wish I had an answer for you. I'm in the trenches, too. Sounds like you're doing all the right things, though.

Although in my house, they ask me "why?" and I tell them because I'm mean. So it's the reverse - I say I'm mean, they disagree.

Just stay on top of it - don't let them slide. I have to say that I've actually seen some improvement in my boys recently, because I quit letting them get away with stuff. Hang in there! :D

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always nice to know your not alone. I also sometimes feel like I have the word MAID stamped on my forehead. Love "the family" as I frustratingly call my dh & dks. Sometimes I wish it was only a job and I could go home at night to a clean home and leave my employment as wife and mother behind for a while.

My eldest was home from college over the holiday and before she went back to college she baked some really delicious cookies. I just discovered that she left the dirty cookie baking pans in the oven. She must have figured the maid (mom) would wash them.

I've been thinking with finances being tight this year, I should see what is around the house to give as presents. So, I am thinking of wrapping the dirty cookie baking pans to give my dd as her Christmas present. And I can wrap up all "parental notice of tardyness and detention slips" I've received this year and give those to my high school senior for a Christmas present. But what to give the middle schooler? Hmm. Maybe whatever has been left lying about. That should be a might large Christmas present to open. Then there's my dear husband. Maybe a dumpster for him. I don't know if he would use it though. lol ;)

A little laughter is the only way to survive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home