Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

I Love Watching them Sleep!

We drove to Toronto Tuesday night to bring Carmi to there. He was flying out early Wed. morning. Thank you Davy for taking Carmi to the airport at 4:45 am. We really appreciated!

We stayed with our wonderful friends Davy and Arlene and they convinced me to stay an extra night. Zach being the big guy that he is, slept upstairs on his best friends floor. Dahlia and Noah not so willing to leave my side slept in the basement with me.

They needed me to stay with them till they fell asleep. I tucked them in on the air mattress on the floor. I lay on the bed and listened to them chatter for 20 minutes. Fearing that this would be an all night affair, they were informed that if anyone else spoke I was going upstairs immediately. I decided to count to 100 in my head and then go upstairs.

My kids amaze me. By the time I go to 25 Noah was out cold. But it wasn't a gradual thing. One minute he was talking and giggling and the next he was fast asleep. I wish I could fall asleep that quickly!

Dahlia took a little longer. I could see she was tired but she didn't want me to go upstairs. Each time her eyes drifted shut she would force them open again and look to see that I was still there. Within a few minutes she was also asleep.

Just a few minutes before, I couldn't wait for them to fall asleep, so I could go upstairs and hang out with my friends. But to be honest, I couldn't take my eyes off of them. I just lay there and watched them sleep.

I was marveling in these little human beings (who more often than not, drive me crazy). So peaceful they looked in their sleep. A little sigh in their sleep. How secure they are in the knowledge that Carmi and I love them so much and know that we are always there for them.

I know they are mine (no prejudice, here!) but I think they are gorgeous. I can hardly believe that we have created them.

Take the time to watch your kids sleep and marvel in what you've created and who they have begun.

As Noah likes to say "AHH This is the Life!"

4 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

What a really wonderful post. And how nice to meet "Mrs. Carmi"!

Michele sent me!

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michele sent me by tonight.
I appreciate overhearing your thoughts of your children asleep. It's not the sort of thing I've had the opportunity to experience myself. It is miraculous that life creation.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger scrappintwinmom said...

Michele sent me today - and I'm so glad she did! I love Carmi's blog, and am a frequent flyer there - how nice to meet the Mrs.

My DH and I frequently feel the same way about our kids. We often find ourselves just watching them and marveling.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

 
At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is adorable. You're kids are lucky to have such a loving mom!

Michele sent me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home