Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Getting Ready for School

I have been away from the computer for much of the week, as I have been busy getting ready for school.

I obsess with everything I do. I think at times it drives my co-teacher crazy. I find myself arranging the desks, step back, look, move them slightly, step back, look and start the process all over again. I do the same thing with anything I hang on the walls. I just want the room to look so appealing and inviting when the kids walk in!

I'm always happy when the first week is over with. As you would imagine the 2 older ones aren't as excited to go back. But I love Noah's enthusiasm that only a kindergarten student can have. Each night he asks how many more sleeps until he can go to big-boy school.

As I have mentioned in previous posts I love teaching. I love watching their wheels turning, the excitement in their face as grasp a new concept and just being with these little people with this abundance of energy.

One of the greatest compliments I received last year was from a student I had in grade 2. I was also his kindergarten teacher.

"Morah Debbie, you know what's great about having a grade 2 teacher, who is also a kindergarten teacher? They can teach us but still remember how to have fun!" It still makes me smile when I think of it.

Why does learning have to be less fun as we grow older? What do you think?

6 Comments:

At 12:37 AM, Blogger Nickle Annie said...

I wish I had that much enthusiasm to learn something new. I wish I had a fun Kindergarten teacher in my life. :) LOL!

Michelle sent me. :)

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it becomes less fun because we have to squeeze learning into days that are too crowded with millions of other things, all vying for first place.

Hi, Michele sent me.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Sarie said...

Hello Michele sent me!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger R.A. Slater said...

Hi from me and Michele!

It helps when you know what way of learning is the best for a person. Myself - I love to read and just blessed my pastor cuz I read a book of his and was so excited afterwards! I must have had some good teachers at some point if I find learning still fun!

 
At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Michele sent me...

I enjoy learning even more than when I was in school. I guess now, I realize it's important to pick up something new each day to keep life interesting.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger utenzi said...

Michele sent me, Morah.

I don't know how it is in Canada, but here in the States there seems to be too much regimentation in the higher grades. This is due in large part to the focus on standarized tests. Of course peer pressure also hurts since often kids don't think it's "cool" to put too much effort into school.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home