Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year)


I'm taking a little break from preparing food (what else does a Jewish mother do?! :>)for Rosh Hashanah. I just put the last of 4 round challahs egg bread) into the freezer. I love seeing the freezer overflowing with cooked food. Is that a mother thing?

It always amazes me when I look at the challahs. I can't believe I made them. Now of course, most of the work comes from the bread machine, but then I'm the one who rolls them out and shapes. They don't look as good as what you get in the bakery but they taste amazing and there's something about them (knowing they've been made by hand) that just makes them sweeter. We eat round challahs at Rosh Hashanah to remind us of the circular cycle of the Jewish year and the beginning and the end are connected. When we reach the end of of year, it starts all over again.

On Rosh Hashanah we also eat sweet things like apples and honey because we wish for a good and sweet year.

We say Shana Tovah; Happy New Year.

Whether you celebrate Rosh Hashanah or not not; may the coming year be sweet and be filled with good health and happiness. I wish for you to be surrounded by people that you love and your homes filled with laughter.

Shana Tovah!

This is a picture of one of the round challahs that I made and is now resting in the freezer, safe from little munchkins who want to know when they can have a piece!

19 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Blogger Shannon akaMonty said...

Shana Tova to you! :) Thos challahs look delicious...I'm glad that Michele sent me here! :)

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

Uh oh. Was I not supposed to eat those? They looked too good to pass up as I rooted through the freezer looking for ice cream.

Maybe I should quit while I'm ahead :)

You're a wonderful wife and Mom...and you make every holiday sweet and memorable.

 
At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you! I just got back from Israel on Friday... and Egypt before that. Can never get my fill of "soul food"! Hope you have a wonderful holiday. Michele sent me this time, but I will be back on my own!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger kenju said...

That looks soooo good. You'd better hide them from Carmi!

Michele sent me.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Chatty said...

I absolutely love challah.

Happy New Year.

Michele sent me.

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Michele sent me. I tried to have a hot fudge sundae today, but the waitress brought me the bill right after I was done with my lunch. What nerve! But I'll try again after dinner for some sweets.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Huw said...

Wow. You made that?

Looks amazing!

I am a pretty dab hand at microwaving things....

Word of you reached me from Michelle.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Carol said...

Shana Tovah!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger utenzi said...

Michele sent me your way, MorahMommy

I haven't celebrated Rosh Hashanah in a number of years. My EX is Jewish so I had to convert when we married in case we had children since her temple insisted that any kids would be brought up in the Hebrew Faith. Since our divorce I left religion and tradition behind. But I should go back to challah bread. That is great stuff. I'm used to seeing it in a braid but I guess that's not how it's served at the New Year.

And keep Carmi from eating it all! I'm sure the kids like it too.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger buffi said...

I tried making challah once. Being Southern Baptist, I suppose, put me at a disadvantage. Yours look delicious. Perhaps a lesson sometime?

Michele sent me today. But I love coming here, anyway!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger carmilevy said...

I'm really NOT that much of a pig. I only EAT like there's no tomorrow. But I can indeed control myself when I've been warned away from the pantry.

OK, so I don't always succeed at that. But I really try. And even my lovely wife will admit I need a lot of rocket fuel to keep me wheeling around on my bike.

Right?

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger yellojkt said...

I came by because I accidentally skipped you playing at michele's.

The challah bread looks delicious. I watch Chris Matthew's Sunday morning show and he had a nice segment on how we could all use the spirit of Rosh Hashanah. Shana Tova.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger MorahMommy said...

Absolutely, Carmi! Now if I could just get you to stop eating cookies (in front of the kids!) before dinner!

You're lucky you're so damn cute!

I'm really proud of how the challas came out. It's taken a lot of practice to get to this point. The first year I made the round challahs they looked like overgrown pancakes!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Thanks! Now I have to find something to eat.

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger kenju said...

Well, the challah still looks good, but I just had popcorn and half an Italian sausage, so it's safe for now.

Michele sent me.

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger kenju said...

I've been commenting several times, but I have forgotten to say "Happy New year" to you and Carmi. May it be the best one yet!

Michele sent me again.

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shana Tova! May next year be at least as good as this one.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Olyal said...

Shana Tova!!! I wish I was having Rosh Hashanah dinner at your place this year instead of at my Grans. Those challahs look so yummy!!!

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Crazy Single Mom said...

Oh my gosh those challah's look so good! Shana Tova to you too! I love my bread machine by the way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home