Adventures of Motherhood

I am a harried mother of three kids who move at light speed and a husband who lives in a world of words. If that isn't enough, I teach in an elementary school as I slowly watch my hair turn gray.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Panic Sets In...

Okay, maybe I'm being a tab bit melodramatic but I feel a bit panicky about setting up my classes. My parents are coming down this weekend to watch the kids and Carmi and I are going up to Deerhurst Resort in Huntsville, Ontario for a long weekend.

I'm so excited about the trip. The last time Carmi and I went away without the children was in 2004 for 1 night. My parents are sacrificing coming for Dahlia's birthday and party to watch the kids for us. And I really mean sacrificing. Since we moved to London my parents always try to be here for the kids birthdays and parties. I think in the last 9 years they've missed twice. They're great, don't you think! We're going to have a birthday celebration on Tuesday. We're going to Build-A-Bear, out for dinner and then home for birthday cake. The girl will end up having 3 birthday celebrations, plus a birthday cookie and book at school. Not Bad!!

So as you've read previously, I'm trying to clean up the house to prepare for going back to work. I did Dahlia and Noah's rooms yesterday. 5 bags of toys to donate and what seems like a million bags of garbage later, the two rooms are done. I am done too. I could barely move this morning. I'm going to do a big clean up for the rest of the house later and just make it neat and tidy. My goal for this year is to get a cleaning lady or company to come in at least every other week to tackle the big stuff. That way at least I'll know for 2 days a month the house will be clean!

So today and tomorrow, I need to finish cleaning up the entire house, and I'm putting pressure on myself to go and start setting up my classrooms. The 2 younger kids are in a half-day summer camp at the little gym and I'm trying to convince Zach to come with me to school. I'm going to try and get my bulletin boards done so I won't have to do them next week.

Normally I wouldn't be in this much of a panic, (Okay, I lie...I'm usually in a panic about this time regardless!) but we get back Monday night from Deerhurst and my parents and I will hangout together on Tuesday and then on Wednesday I start with meetings and set up. I know it will all get done and I'm really itching to get back to work!

When people ask me if I'm sad that my vacation is almost over, they seem surprised when I say no. I like to work. I love teaching and I desperately miss routine for myself and for the kids. Do you think I'm nuts because I am ready to go back to work?

Have a happy Wednesday!

4 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I hope the two of you have a wonderful weekend...I know the kids will have a ball with the grandparents!
Have fun setting up the classsroom...I know you will be glad when the initial madness is over and the routine starts. I'm still waiting on that myself ;)!

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Moon said...

I don't think you're nuts.Most ppl would give their right arm to do a job they love. It's also like taking vacations, we can't wait to go, enjoy our time but near the end, we can't wait to get back home to our lifes routines at home.
It also makes *off* time so special. I hope u and Carmi have a great weekend to recharge.

The cleaning service idea is a great one. Although I work at home, in caring for my handicapped borders, I finally hired someone to come in twice a month for the big stuff as u said....She does not come to pick up our crap, I actualy clean the house of anything lying around the night before, she is here to clean surfaces etc..wash floors, dust and vacuum...It is worth every penny...takes alot of pressure off me. My daughter even knows, she has to hop to it the day before the lady comes so that there is no need for said cleaning lady to adorn herself with a hasmat suit before entering her room lol! It's amazing how withing 12 hours, her bedroom miraculously reverts itself to Tornado Lane...but atleast I know that the floor and surfaces are all clean lol...

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I think this time of year has "panic" written on all of our foreheads. Then come May we'll all be ready for some relaxation again. :)

Hope you have a wonderful time on your vacation. It's been long overdue :)

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I hope things are going okay? Haven't heard from you in awhile. I know back to school and settling into a schedule is going on right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home